Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Part II April 28

Ok, going to continue this blog post from a nice porch near my house. This is what I refer to as the Volunteer's Internet House, because on a weekend I can always swing by and find volunteers to hang out with. There's a lady who used to be a host mom here, and since she couldn't have a volunteer this spring, she offered her porch to any volunteer in need of wifi. It is great. And slightly more peaceful. As a reader of Part 1 will see, home can sometimes get a little crazy.

In the last week, I have really gotten the hang of different projects. I have delivered the presentation to teachers in Spanish, and designed a really cool trash pickup project at the school. Unfortunately, after coming down with a nasty case of gripe, (cold/sore throat mix) I lost my voice the morning of the painting project so I motored there, dropped off my supplies, and silently wished everyone good luck. From the pictures posted to facebook, it looks wonderful although I will not actually get to see the finished project until Tuesday.

That Friday, I also learned just how much I benefit from having motors at my service on my street. I'd barely left the house before the motor drivers saw I had my helmet in hand, and one of them revved up its engine to come get me. So I did not have to walk far that day.

There's also been time for fun. I'm getting pretty good at the bachata dancing. The Dominicans certainly are very amused by my dancing, although I am obviously not at the skill level of a Dominican. Dominicans look like they can dance as soon as they can walk, and maybe earlier. There are certainly small children who are much better dancers than me.

That's bachata however. Dembo is another matter. It is a very sensual and rambunctious dance. I cannot do it for the life of me. There's a certain butt flick, and a stomach twist, and leg shakes which I can crudely imitate but am either too thin (sorry Doñas!) or too Americana to manage.

Another bit of fun. I actually passed the Swiss level of the Friv chase game. It's an online gaming site filled with random flash games. There's one that is very popular in both my host families, where you play a character getting chased by everything from German women holding beersteins to bulls, and have to jump obstacles without getting caught. The Swiss level is on a snowboard, down a mountain, chased by a masked man in skis. You have to make the jumps over the mountain crevasses and rocks and such. Very fun.

And last but not least, I have tons of free books downloaded from Amazon.com kindle. I have read Gulliver's Travels, the Secret Garden, and am starting to read The Time Machine. Reading the Time Machine reminds me of The Big Bang Theory, one of my favorite TV shows from in the States. I am also reminded of that show when I see the cable van because it has the characters from Big Bang Theory painted on the side.

I believe I am finally satisfied with all of my updates. All the best,

Roman Wolf


No comments:

Post a Comment