Monday, May 20, 2013

Update

Hello Readers

Going to type this fairly quickly because the electricity is out, again, and my computer doesn't have a whole lot of battery power left. Just wanted to update everyone on a few interesting things.

Interesting thing one: the speed of gossip in the Dominican Republic is very impressive. No doubt it is this way in small towns the world over, but this is my first time living in one and experiencing it. This is how I can come back from the river, the day after I explain to my Dona that I have feelings for a guy, and suddenly my project partners are giving me fist pumps because I have a Dominican boyfriend. I never even used the word boyfriend, in fact I carefully avoided the word novio because it is very strong here, but that's how the story is going around the town.

Interesting thing two: I think I've lost my phobia of eating fish with the eyes still attached, or else I was just very hungry this afternoon. I was certainly hungry, and I was tearing into this extremely bony fish that barely had any meat, and got quite excited when I saw a hint of flesh I could eat. I dug and tore at it with my fork and finally exposed this succulent morsal---and it was an eyeball. All I felt was a vague disappointment. I really wanted more fish meat. Maybe one day I will eat an eyeball but that day is not today. Eventually I found the other eye. They were both stuck to the skull.

Interesting thing three: Schools. Ai Ai Ai. There's some very interesting teaching practices here, or maybe I should say there are some very interesting non-teaching practices here. Not to complain, but I will just say that at one point today I ended up leading a class in a bunch of clapping exercises because I was afraid if nobody intervened there might be some eyeballs on the floor.

 Interesting thing four: Come visit me. My site is beautiful and there is so much to see and do. But wait until after I finish my first three months. Then I will have a charming little house of my own.

Dominican Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment