Sunday, April 28, 2013

Less than a Week

Hello Readers

Feeling a bit in two directions today. For one, I do not really want to leave Monte Plata. I have enjoyed my time here very much, and I love hanging out with Las Chicas. I have my own band of motorcycle drivers who have been trained not to bother me with Americanas!! and instead leave me in peace when I walk past them. In short, everything here is as I hope it will be a month into my own site.

However, since I do have to leave, I kind of cannot wait until I do. You see, I've done all this work getting settled in and loving a pueblo, only to have to leave it all behind me in another week. Once I get to my real site, I will be able to do all this again, except I have to start from square one. I am very glad to have had this chance to learn *how* but yeah, now that it's almost done I just want to get on with my life here in the Dominican Republic.

The one thing I do not want to do is go back to Santo Domingo. I DO NOT like Santo Domingo. It is a dreadful, dreary, miserly place filled with traffic and noise and smells and crazy people who drive like maniacs and guaguas packed with three layers of humanity. I so much prefer the rest of the country.

In one week and one day, I will know exactly where I am going. It is going to be a bit of a surprise where, since I absolutely do not wish to know that information until I receive it, but I am so eager to know. Sometimes I wonder if this is how it is when a person has a baby. Oh yes, I want to know what gender the baby is going to be, but oh how I long for the surprise! Not like I'll know. Somehow I do not see myself being the sort of person to settle down and raise a family. It's just not in my genes. I am Jean Luc Picard. My brother is Luis Picard.

For now, this adventure in the Peace Corps is all I could ask of it. And as long as I am here, I am going to branch out a bit from my usual personal thing for a bit of a political one. I know this is a controversial subject but I will not make any non-objective statements about it, just going to paste the link and let people read.

http://www.peacecorpsconnect.org/2013/04/legislation-urges-health-equity-for-peace-corps-volunteers/

Rape is a problem in the Peace Corps. There's usually a case or two in the Dominican Republic each year. If a woman gets pregnant she basically is kicked out of the Peace Corps because "it is not medically feasible" to keep her in service. Just going to make that statement and leave the rest alone.

I won't leave you on this sad note however. I will leave you on a much happier one. At this moment there are four gals on the bed counting me and three of them are staring curiously at this blog because it is all in English and they only know a bit of that language. For them, however.

YOU ARE CRAZY
TU ESTAS LOCA

They understand.

Roman Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment