Monday, March 25, 2013

Horses, Bikes and Goats

Dear Readers

As those who follow my facebook know, I recently returned from a trip into the Dominican heartland, a region known as the Cibao. There are some really amazing mountains, rich volcanically fertile areas, and is very, very green. Those who know me well know I go gaga for green vistas. And pine trees. Most of the trees are Caribbean pines. So that was all to my liking.

My volunteer knew so many people in her community! I could hardly believe it. We'd walk down the street for some eggs and be greeting people every few feet. I was able to practice lots of hello, how are you, nice to meet you Spanish. Also, I have now had the experience of riding a motoconcho while carrying a small bag of groceries in one hand and a lemonade in the other. Yes, Peace Corps, I was also wearing my helmet, thank you for asking.

You may be wondering why my post is titled Horses, Bikes and Goats. Well, this is also a consequence of my visit into the Cibao. You see, there are lots of horses, ponies, cows, and other livestock in the campo. And that got me started on some thoughts about buying an animal during my service. I'd only be able to afford one.

A goat would be great because then I could have a reliable source of milk, and they eat just about anything so they are fairly easy to care for. You can even eat them if meat becomes scarce but I do not know if my carnivorous attitudes are strong enough to overcome the human aversion to eating those things one has become familiar with. I'd rather keep my nanny goat alive and drink its milk so I don't have to use the condensed milk things people buy in stores. So those are the reasons I'd buy a goat.

A bike is not an animal but I tend to treat them like pets. A bike is a form of exercise, of transportation, and are just plain fun to have around. Unfortunately, one cannot talk to a bike, or pet a bike without looking strange, and if I were trying to travel up and down the mountains, that would be a lot of work on a Dominican road with a bike. The upside is I only have to keep the bike running and I don't have to feed it. Plus I'm a bike fiend.

The alternative to a bike is a horse. Here my eagerness outweighs my obvious doubts. If I am in a post where a horse will serve me better for transport than a bike, then if I can get a horse, I will. I've pretty much decided that I want to learn how to own and take care of a horse because I really like horses and this may be the one chance in my life where I can actually have one of my own. There's a learning curve and a lot of expenses associated with a horse, but I also WILL OWN A FREAKING HORSE!!!!!!!! This is actually a possibility in the DR because a lot of the more mountainous and remote regions are best reached on a horse or mule, if, like a PC Volunteer, cars are forbidden. If not a horse, I'd also be willing to buy a mule but probably not a donkey. I don't really like donkeys. They bray too much.

During my first interview I told my section leader that I'd kind of like to own a horse. Or a bike. She's considering all factors when placing us so now that I've said that I might set in motion a situation where I'd actually own a horse. At least I have a pretty good idea of how much work a horse would be. They eat a lot and they poop a lot, but if I garden then I'd have a good use for the manure, along with my own compost.


The pet I want most is my campo dog, which I will totally adopt no matter what else I do, so long as I can find one to love me back. Food I guess works well when adopting a campo dog because they choose us as much as we choose them. Just like the olden days when humans tamed wolves. Here, wolf. Meat. Eat. Hunt with me. Good wolf. Growl at strangers.

Campo dogs are good for female volunteers who like to exercise because they provide a degree of protection against dangerous people. Unfortunately, like my volunteer's dog, they can also be hurt by other dogs, and that is terrifying. Yet, such an attacking dog could also attack me, and dog on dog is slightly more even than dog on human, so...horribly...that may also be an advantage for me. I just wish I had the power to transform into a wolf in a situation like that so I could tear the attacking animal apart with my bare fangs. Certainly wished that when that nasty poodle bit my Dukie boy back in Minnesota.

Tis getting late and I should be taking my repose. Fare thee well, friends of the states (and of the RD!)

No comments:

Post a Comment