Monday, May 13, 2013

I asked for a library and got a BEACH


I asked for a Library, I got a Beach

That about sums up my site. I can stop typing now.

Haha.

Just kidding.

My site has a beach, a very lovely beach, filled with small, white rocks and also some larimar, which is a precious stone very common in the southern DR coast. It is blue and very pretty. The Caribbean Sea is in sight of my house, and it is the most gorgeous turquoise I ever have seen in my life. And I’m a Minnesota girl. I know water.

It also has mountains! Big, huge, green mountains which look like a baby version of the Andes. The mountains kiss the water, quite literally, because when you stand on a clump of giant rocks on the beach you can look north and see how the mountain swoops down to the coast and touches the water. It is the most stunning sight I have ever seen, aside from the view as the waves slowly crest upwards towards shore and become white monsters striking the rocky, sandy dunes alongside the sea.

No, I do not have pictures yet. I had some mental complex about not taking pictures on my first visit to the site because I wanted it to be pristine and free of touristy implements like cameras. Plus, I do not even have internet in Santo Domingo so I would not be able to post any until I get back and can befriend the Italians who own a restaurant with wifi. Hehe.

Don’t worry Italians, I’ll buy some Kola Real.

And have I mentioned the river? Because it has one of those too. A wide, shallow little thing that happens to be the shortest river in the world. Very shallow. Not even a foot deep. With rocks. Sharp rocks that can cut a foot of the unwary person unfamiliar with the way current can seize a floating human being and drag them along said rocks. I know. I have the cuts on my foot to prove it.

One of my project partners owns a restaurant along the river. That’s the most touristy part of the town because Dominicans come from all over the DR to visit my site’s river. And the beach of course. So I have a splendid excuse, when running or strolling along the beach, to swing by the river and visit either with him or with his friends and family who are usually there. It is awesome.

As for the town. It begins right along the beach and extends back and upwards into the mountain. My Centro (with the library! And the homework center! And the office!!!!) is a bit up the mountain past the school, so there is a small climb. So far I’ve only taken it via motorcycle with my other project partner, who was showing me around. No doubt I will climb it frequently in the months to come.

Now that you know what the appearance is of where I will live, I can describe what I will be doing in order to live in this town just south of paradise. (Although if the people talking knew what they were talking about, they would have named my town that!)

Three years ago, this really cool volunteer came to town and had a mission to get a library in it. He started the library, the homework center, an internet center, and a basketball court, all while building some latrines. He also got to know everyone that I have met so far. So as far as I am concerned, he was pretty awesome. Then, like all volunteers, he left. And the follow-up volunteers (a married couple) suffered health problems. And left a month later. People don’t really remember them.  Once they left, El Centro closed.

There were a few other things going on and I have not had time to dig out the full story. I know the mayor was not supporting the library either. And there was no money. I’ll need to uncover the data during my diagnostic.

Anyway, now I am there. My mission is to restart El Centro, including the library and the homework center, teach Spanish literacy to children, and work with teachers on improving literacy teaching since there probably will not be a follow-up volunteer after me. (I am the follow-up.)

First, I have three months to learn what there is to learn, and adapt to life under the tree. A later blog post will describe the tree. It is very important. But I think it belongs more in a post about conducting a Community Diagnostic in the Dominican Republic.

No comments:

Post a Comment